David Ortiz’s condition upgraded to ‘good,’ his wife says

David Ortiz‘s condition has been upgraded to “good” by doctors more than a week after the former Boston Red Sox star was shot in the Dominican Republic, his wife said Tuesday.

“He continues to make progress with his recovery in the Intensive Care Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital,” Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement issued via the Red Sox.

“We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston. David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.”

On the night of June 9, a gunman shot Ortiz in the lower back while he sitting on a crowded bar patio in Santo Domingo. The bullet passed through Ortiz, perforating his intestines and internal organs, and then hit his friend, TV talk-show host Jhoel Lopez, in the leg.

Following surgery in the Dominican Republic, Ortiz was flown to Boston, where he underwent a second surgery.

Prosecutors in the Caribbean nation say a fugitive suspect paid for the would-be assassins who shot the former Red Sox slugger in a murder-for-hire plot. So far, 10 suspects are in custody and facing charges.

Breakfast wraps recalled because they may have small rocks

A Texas company is recalling more than 246,000 pounds of frozen breakfast wraps sold nationwide over fears the bacon may be contaminated with extraneous materials, especially small rocks.

The El Monterey frozen breakfast wraps also contain egg, potato and cheese, and were produced in January by Ruiz Foods Products in Denison, Texas, the US Department of Agriculture said in a statement.

“The company received a report of a potential injury associated with the consumption of this product,” the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said. “FSIS has received no additional reports of injury or illness from consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.”

Anyone who’s bought the products is urged to throw them away or return them to the place of purchase.

The products recalled are about 246,514 pounds, and have “best if used by” dates of 01/17/2020 and 01/18/2020, and lot codes 19017 and 19018.

No Parking zones, Saturday street closures for Arthur Ashe Boulevard ceremony

Arthur Ashe

RICHMOND, Va. — Several streets will be closed in Richmond Saturday as hundreds are expected to attend the Arthur Ashe Boulevard Unveiling Ceremony.

The following streets will be closed beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, June 22 and will reopen at 2 p.m.

Kensington Avenue between North Sheppard and North Mulberry Streets
North Arthur Ashe Boulevard (both sides) between Patterson Avenue and Hanover Avenue
North Colonial Avenue between Kensington Avenue and Patterson Avenue
Stuart Avenue between North Arthur Ashe Boulevard and North Mulberry Street
Hanover Avenue between North Arthur Ashe Boulevard and North Mulberry Street

No Parking zones will be in place from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 22

Boulevard locations:
400 block of North Arthur Ashe Boulevard (both sides) between Kensington Avenue and Stuart Avenue
500 block of North Arthur Ashe Boulevard (west side only) between Patterson Avenue and Kensington Avenue
2800-2900 block of Kensington Avenue (both sides) between North Arthur Ashe Boulevard and North Sheppard Street.

No Parking zones will be in place from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Saturday, June 22

Battery Park Locations:
2500 block of The Terrace (both sides) between Overbrook and Lancaster Roads
2500 block of Montrose Avenue (both sides) between The Terrace and West Lancaster Road
400 block of West Lancaster Road (both sides) between The Terrace and Montrose Avenue

Arthur Ashe Monument Locations:
900 block of Roseneath Road (west side only) between Monument Avenue and Wythe Avenue

The City of Richmond is planning a three-day celebration to commemorate the renaming of the Boulevard to Arthur Ashe Boulevard.

Beginning Thursday, June 20, the city will hold several family-friendly events from bowling and movies at the park, culminating with an official sign unveiling on Saturday, June 22.

This steer’s nearly 11-foot horns just broke a Guinness World Record

GOODWATER, Ala. – A Texas longhorn from Alabama has broken the Guinness World Record for longest horns, measuring nearly 11 feet from tip to tip.

The 7-year-old steer, named Poncho Via, had his record breaking measurement — 10 feet, 7.4 inches long — confirmed May 8 in his hometown of Goodwater, Alabama, according to a news release from Guinness World Records.

The former record holder, a Texas longhorn named Sato, had a horn spread of 10 feet, 6.3 inches, when measured in September, according to Guinness World Records.

The Pope family, who has had Poncho since he was six months old, realized they could have a record-breaker on their hands when they noticed a few years ago that his horns were growing out and not curving up like other longhorns, the release said.

Poncho has become quite popular in the community, his owner Jeral Pope told Guinness.

“All my neighbors (around) here, any time they have company, they come over to see the longhorn,” Pope said in the news release. “He’s just a big, gentle character. Everyone brings (food) with them — he likes apples, carrots and marshmallows.”

But Poncho has had his moments. One of his caretakers says he was knocked into a pond once when Poncho got spooked by something, according to the Guinness news release.

“He pulled a water bottle right out my pocket with his tongue. He’s there playing with the bottle and I reached and scratched him for a bit,” said George Jones, a family member who helps out with Poncho on the ranch.

“That went on for a little while and I guess a horsefly got on him or something (because), all of a sudden, he turned that head and I went airborne into the pond. He just knocked me completely off my feet into the water,” Jones said.

The family is just happy that Poncho continues to bring their friends and family joy and keep people coming over.

3 Tumblr Artists Share Their Visions For Pride Month

HuffPost is now part of the Oath family. We (Oath) and our partners need your consent to access your device, set cookies, and use your data, including your location, to understand your interests, provide relevant ads and measure their effectiveness. Oath will also provide relevant ads to you on our partners’ products. Learn More

How Oath and our partners bring you better ad experiences

To give you a better overall experience, we want to provide relevant ads that are more useful to you. For example, when you search for a film, we use your search information and location to show the most relevant cinemas near you. We also use this information to show you ads for similar films you may like in the future. Like Oath, our partners may also show you ads that they think match your interests.

Learn more about how Oath collects and uses data and how our partners collect and use data.

Select ‘OK’ to allow Oath and our partners to use your data, or ‘Manage options’ to review our partners and your choices. Tip: Sign In to save these choices and avoid repeating this across devices. You can always update your preferences in the Privacy Centre.

Over 246,000 pounds of breakfast wraps recalled because they may have small rocks

A Texas company is recalling more than 246,000 pounds of frozen breakfast wraps sold nationwide over fears the bacon may be contaminated with extraneous materials, especially small rocks.

The El Monterey frozen breakfast wraps also contain egg, potato and cheese, and were produced in January by Ruiz Foods Products in Denison, Texas, the US Department of Agriculture said in a statement.

“The company received a report of a potential injury associated with the consumption of this product,” the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said. “FSIS has received no additional reports of injury or illness from consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.”

Anyone who’s bought the products is urged to throw them away or return them to the place of purchase.

The products recalled are about 246,514 pounds, and have “best if used by” dates of 01/17/2020 and 01/18/2020, and lot codes 19017 and 19018.

Why Parkland shooting survivor says Harvard rescinded his admission

Parkland shooting survivor and pro-Second Amendment activist said Harvard University rescinded his acceptance as a result of racist remarks he made before the 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida.

Kyle Kashuv disclosed the rescinding Monday in a Twitter thread, acknowledging that he and classmates, then 16, made “abhorrent racial slurs” in digital messages almost two years ago “in an effort to be as extreme and shocking as possible.”

He wrote an apology for his remarks and posted a screenshot of what appears to be a June 3 letter from Harvard Dean of Admissions William Fitzsimmons, rescinding his admission.

“Harvard deciding that someone can’t grow, especially after a life-altering event like the shooting, is deeply concerning. If any institution should understand growth, it’s Harvard, which is looked to as the pinnacle of higher education despite its checkered past,” Kashuv said on Twitter.

“Throughout its history, Harvard’s faculty has included slave owners, segregationists, bigots and antisemites,” he added. “If Harvard is suggesting that growth isn’t possible and that our past defines our future, then Harvard is an inherently racist institution. But I don’t believe that.”

A Harvard spokeswoman told CNN Monday that the university does “not comment publicly on the admissions status of individual applicants.”

Kashuv is a young conservative with a following

Kashuv has built a profile as the conservative alternative to other visible, outspoken members of the #NeverAgain movement — fellow Parkland students David Hogg, Emma Gonzalez and Cameron Kasky. He’s been outspoken about his support for gun ownership while his classmates have called for more laws to be implemented in the wake of the February 2018 shooting, in which 17 people died.

Kashuv went to the White House in March 2018 to meet with first lady Melania Trump and had a surprise meeting with President Donald Trump.

While his classmates walked out of school in April 2018 to demand action on gun reform, the teen hosted an livestream with conservative commentators who discussed their support of the Second Amendment. He has more than 300,000 followers on Twitter.

A few weeks ago, Kashuv said, he became aware “egregious and callous comments” he and other classmates “made privately years ago” were being made public.

“I immediately apologized,” he said, saying he was “embarrassed” by the comments. He said the comments don’t reflect who he is and “this past year has forced me to mature and grow.”

“I see the world through different eyes and am embarrassed by the petty, flippant kid represented” in screenshots of the comments,” he added.

Kashuv said the notoriety led to “speculative articles” and attacks by “former peers & political opponents” urging Harvard to rescind his admission.

Harvard said it became aware of his ‘offensive statements’

In Kashuv’s Twitter thread, he posted a May 24 letter from Harvard’s Fitzsimmons saying the university had become aware “of media reports discussing offensive statements allegedly authored by you.”

The letter added that “Harvard reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission under various conditions, including ‘if you engage or have engaged in behavior that brings into question your honest, maturity, or moral character.’”

Kashuv said that in response to a request from the Harvard admissions committee he wrote back with a “full explanation, apology and requested documents” and also sent an email to the school’s Office of Diversity Education & Support “to seek guidance on how to right this wrong and work with them once I was on campus.”

But the Harvard admissions committee still voted to deny him admission, he said.

In an ironic twist, he said the school’s Office of Diversity Education & Support responded to his apology the next day, saying it appreciated his “thoughtful reflections” and looked forward to connecting with him “upon your matriculation in the fall of 2020.”

Kashuv said he then asked for a face-to-face meeting to make his case and “work towards any possible path of reconciliation,” but Harvard declined his request.

“I believe that institutions and people can grow. I’ve said that repeatedly. In the end, this isn’t about me. It’s about whether we live in a society in which forgiveness is possible or mistakes brand you as irredeemable, as Harvard has decided for me,” Kashuv said.

In his final Twitter post Monday morning, Kashuv said he’s still trying to figure out his next steps.

“I had given up huge scholarships in order to go to Harvard, and the deadline for accepting other college offers has ended. I’m exploring all options at the moment.”

Police department to deploy ‘RoboCop’ to monitor public areas

HUNTINGTON PARK, Calif. — The Huntington Park Police Department is set to unveil “HP RoboCop,” the latest tool in the force’s arsenal that will keep an electronic eye on public areas, the city of Huntington Park announced in a news release.

The device is “an autonomous data machine that is meant to serve outdoors,” that will use 360-degree HD video footage to “act as an extra set of eyes and monitor areas such as parks, city buildings and corridors where police might not have the time to consistently patrol,” the release said.

The city released a video of HP RoboCop rolling down a sidewalk, making electronic sounds and at one point even saying, “Good day to you.”

HP RoboCop will be displayed at an introduction ceremony Tuesday at 6 p.m. at the City Council Chambers at city hall.

“I’m very excited that we can officially call on HP RoboCop to help our police officers patrol our city,” Mayor Karina Macias said, according to the release. “This is a big accomplishment for our city and introducing RoboCop shows innovation and the incorporation of new technology. I am certainly impressed with HP RoboCop and can’t wait to see it in action. I’m already a big fan!”

Police got to test the device last month at Huntington Park’s 5K event at Salt Lake Park.

HP RoboCop already has its own Twitter account, @HPRoboCop.

Severe thunderstorms possible Tuesday evening

RICHMOND, Va. — It will be another hot and humid day with highs nearing 90 this afternoon. Make sure you keep your rain gear on hand as we’ll see another round of storms this afternoon and evening as an upper-level trough approaches. Some of the storms on Tuesday will be strong to severe with damaging winds and large hail.

A severe thunderstorm watch will be possible in the blue outlined area in the next few hours:

The unsettled pattern will continue through Thursday evening. The chance for storms will remain high into Wednesday, with lower chances on Thursday. A cold front will move through the area early Friday morning, resulting in seasonally warm and dry weather Friday.

Upper-level ridging will develop this weekend, bringing an increase in heat and humidity to the region. Highs will stay in the 80s Saturday, but we’ll likely reach the 90s Sunday through early next week.

There are currently no significant tropical disturbances in the Atlantic Basin.

Love Virginia restaurants? Listen to Eat It, Virginia!

Subscribe to the Eat It, Virginia! podcast. Email feedback and questions to [email protected].

Trump issues vague threat to begin deporting ‘millions’ of undocumented immigrants next week

President Donald Trump on Monday night issued a vague threat to deport “millions” of undocumented immigrants next week, though he did not provide details and administration officials did not respond to requests for clarification.

Trump said the agency will begin deporting undocumented immigrants “as fast as they come in,” and called on congressional Democrats to address the “border crisis.” It was not immediately clear what plan Trump was talking about, and neither the White House nor Immigration and Customs Enforcement responded to CNN’s request for clarification Monday.

The tweets came hours before the President is set to officially kick off his 2020 bid. He launched his 2016 campaign vowing to take a hard stance against illegal immigration by building a wall and ridding the country of undocumented immigrants, but deporting millions of people, as Trump suggested Monday, requires vast resources and ICE is already strained by migrants crossing the border illegally.

Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan declined to comment to CNN on the President’s tweets as he left a speaking engagement Tuesday morning.

A senior administration official told CNN Tuesday over “1 million” undocumented immigrants “have been issued final deportation orders by federal judges yet remain at large in the country” and called enforcing those judicial orders a “top priority” for ICE.

Earlier this month, ICE’s new acting director, Mark Morgan, said the agency was exploring options to arrest and deport families who have gone through their legal proceedings and have been ordered to depart the US. That operation would target migrants with a “final order of removal,” Morgan said.

Morgan described the potential deportation of families as a way to reduce the incentive for migrants to travel to the United States. Families are often released into the US following their apprehension, due to limits on the time children can be held in government custody.

Former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen had rejected the plan because the policy of the department was to prioritize criminals for deportation, according to one US official.

US officials with knowledge of the “preparations have said in recent days that the operation was not imminent,” and following Trump’s tweets, ICE officials said they “were not aware that the president planned to divulge their enforcement plans on Twitter,” The Washington Post reported Monday.

Under former President Barack Obama, the department had deployed an operation targeting families in the later years. It was revived in Trump’s first year in office.

Last year, the President expressed frustration toward Oakland, California, Mayor Libby Schaaf after she issued a public warning for the immigrant communities in her city about impending raids by ICE in the the San Francisco Bay Area.

“They had close to a thousand people ready to be gotten, ready to be taken off the streets … they say 85% of them were criminals and had criminal records. And the mayor of Oakland went out and warned them all,” Trump said at the time, adding that her actions were a “disgrace.”